Monday, March 31, 2014

My Two Cents_13

Last day of National Cerebral Palsy Awareness month

At the start of this series, I raised the question: Can our community somehow get bigger up against its challenges? Now, here -- near the end -- I’m suggesting that it can -- -- and that one way to do it is by turning outsiders into insiders to create an ever-expanding circle of impact.

So: 

Go to it. Go right ahead, org leaders, and begin creating more meaningful opportunities for people to participate. Go beyond traditional notions of volunteerism. Transcend the tired old tactics.

How you ask?

Well, you could re-read the preceding posts to get a better sense of what some of the leading management thinkers are saying – and try some of their tips. Another option?

I've been experimenting with what I see as a possible “engine” for turning outsiders into insiders. A tool-in-the-making that subsumes, i.e., factors in, several of the big management ideas I've been writing about (users don’t have to pay those any mind; all they have to do is provide fuel) that I’d like for us, collectively, to try out.

My idea is to give outsiders more opportunities to do the real, day-to-day work of our organizations. My tool -- a simple mind map -- is for publicizing requests for help from organizations like yours. The fuel on which it runs? Everything on your “to do” and “might like to do” lists that isn’t getting done. From discrete tasks (e.g. write a fundraising appeal for a new campaign) to multi-step projects. From the simple to the complex. From the realistic to the fantastic...

Give me those to me and I’ll add them to the map. I'll invite parents and others to peruse it. Then I'll encourage them to put their talents, experience, etc. to work for your various causes.

Is said tool what I’d like it to be? Nope. It’s just a scrawny substitute. The kind of talent marketplace I have in mind would much more closely resemble a Monster.com or Careerbuilder.com. That doesn't mean, however, it can’t be valuable as it is for moving us in the right direction.

When my daughter was diagnosed over 10 years ago with cerebral palsy, I was at a loss not only about where to go for help but about what to do to help. Why couldn't we create a single place where parents can go to find out [1] where help is needed and [2] how to pitch in in ways that might move our organizations – and our larger community – forward? 

I see no reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment