Friday, March 21, 2014

My Two Cents_04

TRUE or FALSE:
"The leaders of those organizations whose work touches in one way or another on CP are passionate about their various missions."
I'd say that's true. I gather they're working their tails off for what they believe in. 
"Those same leaders are passionate about being managers." 
I'd say that's false. It's a little hard to tell from where I sit but I don't generally see, for example: 
  • references to management conferences or seminars attended, or to business books read
  • management "thought leaders" being liked and followed on Facebook or Twitter 
  • (what strike me as) best management practices being practiced. 
My gut tells me that stuff like maximizing resources and focusing relentlessly on results really isn't their bag. 

Some days I see this as a problem. Most other days? As "room to improve" and a big-time opportunity to get better and stronger.

*  *  *  *  *


I've come to the conclusion that it's unrealistic to expect our organizations' leaders to be both passionate about managing for results and experts (as they typically are) on particular issues or at particular functions. (e.g. marketing) Their hands and plates are full. There aren't enough hours in the day. One person, one organization, can do only so much.

Still, though, there's so much solid management thinking and experimenting going on, so much activity as it relates to nonprofits (I'm keenly interested in: collaboration, constituent engagement, multi-stakeholder networks, shared leadership) -- I want to make sure we bring the best of the best to bear. I want ours to be the best managed set of disorders and /or conditions. 

We owe it to our kids to figure out how to weave the brightest ideas into the fabric of our workThe question is, "How?"

*  *  *  *  *

Similarly for parents: You're no doubt stretched in all directions. You're doing the best you can, the best you know how. Could you do better by your son or daughter if you'd manage things differently? I say even the most "with it" among us could stand to improve, i.e., could do more as it relates to trying to produce good outcomes for our kids. 

More on this to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment