Friday, March 28, 2014

My Two Cents_09A

You as an organizational leader are going to want to delegate lower-value work to colleagues who can do it -- not necessarily as well as you, but -- well enough. Competently. The idea is to free yourself up to work on the largest, most pressing issues in your area of responsibility.

The goal of delegating is to maximize your effectiveness.

But our organizations are relatively small. There aren't large pools of potential delegatees. What, then, is the point? How much can "practicing safe delegating" really enhance an organization's overall impact?

Well, London School of Economics' Professor Julian Birkenshaw would have us understand that delegating is one of two ways to offload work. The other is outsourcing. (delegating to outsiders) I happen to believe that outsourcing -- or something like it -- may hold a key to amplifying our whole community's impact. I think it's well worth exploring. 

I'll lay out why in the next four or five posts. 

*  *  *  *  *

When I think of outsiders who may be able to do work on behalf of organizations in the CP sphere, two things jump to mind. One: I think of a vast landscape made up of a larger number of individuals and a smaller number of organizations. Two: If this were fifteen (15) years ago, most of the know-how and know-what associated with said landscape would have been next-to-impossible to access. Today’s communication technologies, however -- our new digital infrastructure -- make all that knowledge "there for the taking." 

The Net opens up a whole new world of possibilities for delegating to outsiders. Those of us in the neurological disorders community aren't even scratching the surface in terms of taking advantage of it. 

I see the outsider landscape as consisting of outside-outsiders and inside-outsiders. Those are only my distinctions, my constructions. But I think they're useful. And I'll characterize them in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment