Friday, March 21, 2014

My Two Cents_03

Here’s my formula-in-the-making-in-a-nutshell for beating CP:  

We need to manage our asses off. 

I submit to you that good old-fashioned gumption has taken us far, but that there are tools and techniques from the management world we could and need to be using to really ramp up our effectiveness. 

Now, before the 95% of you who don’t think of yourselves as managers decide to exit stage right -- please hold on a sec’. I see us all as managers. We manage our households. We manage our health. We manage the commitments we make to ourselves and others...

Although my emphasis early in this series will be on organizational (e.g. nonprofit) management, I’d like for everyone, especially parents and family members of the 14-18 million kids in the US with neurological conditions or disorders, to follow along -- for this reason: 
Our organizations and their staffs are essentially our surrogates, our deputies.* Not only do they act on our behalf, the exist for and because of us. Their successes and ours are inextricably linked. 
We parents hold the real key to doing bigger and better things for our kids. Not the scientists or the other smart people “over there.” We represent their best hope. We just need to learn how to unlock the door.

*writing this as a parent myself

No comments:

Post a Comment