Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Tale of Two Hope Machines, 6.0

Dear Red Treehouse and UCP:

I appreciate what you’re saying: “Connect with us and connect with hope.” I do. But, may I please have the floor for a minute to say what I believe on this day would make me feel hopeful?

I have three CP-related topics in mind and specific questions about each of ‘em. I think it’d be great if I could (1) click on my bookmarks toolbar (2) go to your site, and (3) find the answers I’m looking for there on your home page. Ideally, I wouldn’t have to do any clicking through at all. And the answers themselves would be right on the money. No “close, but no cigar”s. 

That's a heck of a lot to ask, I realize. Ergo when I went-a-wishfully-thinking to your site this week and didn’t find the answers I was looking for right off the bat, I wasn’t disappointed; I was ready and willing to search. So, I made (what I thought were) educated guesses about where to look. I acted on them. I came up empty-handed.

My m.o. these days as a visitor is to try the keyword site search tool sooner rather than later. That’s what I did next – using the following keywords or phrases...with and without quotation marks...with minor variations: 
  1. Physiatry; physiatrist
  2. Intensive therapy
  3. Low glycemic index treatment
Want to know the results?

"No results found."*

Two web sites. 
Three strikes each. 

Three strikes usually means you’re out. In this case, though, I also tried “orthotics” and “orthosis” but – strike four – was rebuffed again.

How can that be? Four unique and different topics. Each one clearly (right?) within the purview of your organization. No results found.

My searching-but-not-finding may not be the biggest of deals, but, until and unless you can take my queries as input and somehow (I don’t care what happens behind the curtain) turn them into answers I can use as output, you still have a way to go in my book. You've room for improvement. 

For now, I feel like I’m far better off doing a Google search of the whole Net. 

Find hope? 
Nope. Not this trip, unfortunately. 
Found discouragement.

*For #2 on my list, there were some results but only two of the first fifteen from Red Treehouse and one of twenty from UCP were relevant at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment