Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Tale of Two Hope Machines, 2.0

Because hope is such a slippery concept, I’m gonna try my darnedest to keep this dictionary.com definition front ‘n’ center:
the feeling that what is wanted can be had or that events will turn out for the best
Maybe down the road it’ll be instructive to “pick hope apart”, measure it, compare it with other concepts, etc. But – note to self – I don’t want to get sidetracked...

Any more than I already have. 

Hunh?

Already I’m having second thoughts. I said in the Intro that, in addition to having received valuable information from my friends in Denver, I found hope. That’s true, but I left out something important. 

Receiving and reading their report was also like magic.   

What’s more, I think it was intentional (the magic) on their part. Deliberate. Sneakily engineered into the product. While searching online, in fact, I came across this definition they’ve used over the years: "Magic is emergent, an awareness arising from a fusing through present action of curiosity, intensity, sensitivity, integrity, wonder."

Should UCP and /or Red Treehouse aspire to deliver magic? Magic and hope seem to have important things in common. Is magic a higher good? A different one? 

Note to self: Relegate these to the back burner. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment