Thursday, January 9, 2014

ROUND EIGHT: I Commend You


I don't know these days if people are still handing out kudos, or even props for that matter, but I want to -- to RespectAbilityUSA.

How come?

Based on first impressions only of its Facebook activities, I see an organization using social media for more than just fundraising or marketing communications. I see it using social media strategically, too, for doing important, mission-driven work.

In the past 4-6 weeks, for example, RA has issued at least 4-6 unique calls to action. (I know in at least two cases its calls were answered.) It has invited constituents to: 
  • participate in a conference call 
  • complete a survey 
  • submit photos 
  • provide pro bono camerawork, and 
  • be interviewed. 
Could this mean it actually gets what it means to "be digital" and why things necessarily start and end with the constituent? 

In any case, RespectAbility's Facebook page strikes me as a good environment for knowledge; a good environment for learning. There's a working community in the making there. And since at this point I can only imagine giving its leaders a "smartie" award for productive Net behavior -- I wish 'em well. 

I hope other nonprofits working in and around the CP and special needs realm take note.

No comments:

Post a Comment